In addition to general intellectual property counseling, Alan McCollom is adept at providing infringement and validity studies and opinions; analyses of potential patent infringement; and the preparation and prosecution of applications directed to critical technology, as well as applications being reissued and reexamined.
Alan’s extensive litigation record includes inter partes proceedings and infringement cases. He has represented Korean and Japanese clients on US patent matters and represented US clients in obtaining patents and trademarks in various Asian and European countries, as well as in Australia.
Alan’s practice encompasses electronics and computer technology, including semiconductor processes, digital compression, cryptography, analog ICs, DRAM circuits and web site analytics. Formerly an engineer for General Electric’s Medical Systems Division, he also has broad experience with electronic medical equipment.
Alan has extensive experience with clients who design, develop, manufacture, distribute, and sell electronic gaming devices. Four gaming patents drafted and prosecuted by Alan were successfully enforced against an infringer. Alan also advises several organizations formed to license encryption specifications to manufacturers of entertainment electronics and cell phones.
Alan enjoys reading, yoga, and cooking.
- MJM Attorneys Alan McCollom and Alex Johnson featured in IP Law & Business Best Lawyers, Corporate Counsel, January 1, 2010
- Marger Johnson & McCollom Attorneys Named Among 2007 “Oregon Super Lawyers”, November 19, 2007
- Marger Johnson & McCollom’s Alan McCollom Named Among “The Best Lawyers in America”, September 28, 2007
- Marger Johnson & McCollom’s Alan McCollom Appointed to Multnomah County Mediation Commission, September 19, 2007
- Marger Johnson & McCollom Attorneys Named Among 2006 “Oregon Super Lawyers”, December 13, 2006
- IP Law—A Retrospective, Multnomah Lawyer, November 2006
- Patent litigators too quick to dismiss use of arbitration, Portland Business Journal, August 4, 2006
- Marger Johnson & McCollom’s Alan McCollom Appointed to Panels of Distinguished Neutrals for CPR Institute for Dispute Resolution, November 2, 2004
- Protection of Intellectual Property Rights in Computer Programs, Oregon State Bar Bulletin, 1992