Alex is particularly skilled in summary judgments, jury trials, as well as appeals of infringement and validity cases. His ability to incisively analyze patent infringement and prior art risk has led to innovative solutions for patenting and successful avoidance, or even invalidation, of competitors’ patents.
As an experienced engineer first, Alex now applies his legal expertise to providing clients with an outside perspective—shepherding them through evaluation of their business potential and customizing how to protect their innovations in a way that suits their long- and short-term goals, opportunities, and budget.
Alex’s background includes broad experience in electronics and computer technology, with diverse applications ranging from semiconductors and medical imaging to digital communications and design simulation systems, as well as from orthodontics and lasers to sporting goods and lumber processing equipment.
Although Alex’s client roster includes well-known names, he is especially devoted to spearheading the entire range of IP issues for young startups, helping them become successful companies.
Alex briefed and argued Tektronix’ successful appeal of In re Alappat, 33 F.3d 1526 (1994), a landmark en banc decision on the patentability of software.
While devoted to his clients and family, Alex enjoys traveling, golf, fly fishing, and skiing.
- MJM Attorneys Alan McCollom and Alex Johnson featured in IP Law & Business Best Lawyers, Corporate Counsel, January 1, 2010
- Marger Johnson & McCollom Attorneys Named Among 2007 “Oregon Super Lawyers”, November 19, 2007
- Avoid litigation with a comprehensive list of do’s and don’ts, Portland Business Journal, August 24, 2007
- Optimize the merger: Attend to intellectual property issues, Portland Business Journal, April 6, 2007
- Opinion-editorial on Oregon Innovation Plan, Commerce Magazine, March 2007
- Marger Johnson & McCollom Attorneys Named Among 2006 “Oregon Super Lawyers”, December 13, 2006
- Accounting practices geared to IP can reduce taxes, Portland Business Journal, December 1, 2006
- IP Law—A Retrospective, Multnomah Lawyer, November 2006
- In re Alappat, Portland Monthly, June 2006
- Secure a Competitive Advantage for Your Brand Through Strategic Trademarking (Part 11 of a series), Software Association of Oregon Cursor, May 2006
- Just Add Coffee—Built-in Brew Express, Alaska Airlines Magazine, October 2005
- Federal Circuit Court Decision on Phillips v. AWH Corp. Reflects Oregon Patent Law Association Amicus Brief, August 19, 2005
- MJM’s Alex Johnson Selected by Industry Peers as One of Top Three Intellectual Property Attorneys in Portland, July 22, 2005
- Invention innovation: First-time inventor shoots out of the gate with a successful new product, Portland Business Journal, July 8, 2005
- UMD Technology Inc.—Aggressive innovation, Portland Business Journal, June 17, 2005
- IP tiffs increasingly go to court, Portland Business Journal, November 5, 2004
- Lamp design ruling may cast copyright law in a new light, The Oregonian, November 14, 2003
- Marger Johnson & McCollom Ranks as Top Patent Law Firm Headquartered in Portland, Oregon, June 27, 2003